Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Communication

I've been thinking about communication quite a bit in the last few weeks. Scenarios both at school and with our community all could have had better outcomes and understanding with stronger communication. Some questions I am reflecting on:

Students:
-How can I increase the opportunities for students to communicate directly with me and with the school leadership?
-Where are there unrealized opportunities to involve students in generating changes and strengthening our community and program?
-What leadership opportunities could we facilitate for students in all grades?
-How might we better invite student feedback and ideas for improvement in all aspects of our organization?

Staff:
-How can I improve communication and transparency of decision-making with my colleagues?
-What is the best way to improve this communication? Different media? Changes to schedule? More invitations and opportunities to connect?
-Where is the balance between keeping everyone "in the loop" and also considering the privacy of the scenario and participants? How do I know if things are in balance or if we are missing the mark?
-How does my response to communications (or lack of) influence positive organizational behaviors and connections?

Community:
-How could I improve both the vehicles we utilize for communication and also the content of what we share?
-What additional tools might improve the reach of our communication efforts?
-Where can existing or new communication efforts be adjusted to change from a delivery methodology to more of a conversation?
-How might we better communicate the follow-up or next steps in response to feedback or new ideas?

Personal:
-How can I better manage my "to-do" list such that I take those important additional opportunities to communicate informally and formally?
-How do I better convey our mission and vision to all stake-holders?
-Where can I create new opportunities for dialogue about what is important and how we can be the very best for our students?

A lot to think about and a lot to do. I know that these themes and ideas will be guiding questions as I continue my work in school leadership. Are there other questions we should consider? Feel free to comment or share your ideas.

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment